Thursday, May 31, 2007

The summer bomb?

The debate currently raging around Hollywood is what will be that one big summer movie that just bombs... the absolute turkey that hits the theatres like a Lead Zeppelin...

It's actually a fun discussion because for the most part, the big summer movies this year have appeared review-proof. SPIDERMAN 3, SHREK 3, AND PIRATES 3 all got mediocre to bad reviews, and yet they all made what we in the industry refer to as "an assload of money."

So what will it be?

My best guess is OCEAN'S 13... what do you think?

UPDATE: As a back-up guess (since OCEAN'S 13 was really the guess of a colleague of mine), I'll say that I wouldn't be surprised if DIE HARD 4 underperformed... I think it will probably do fine, I'm just saying I won't be shocked if it doesn't.

UPDATE: A reader responds with "FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE CGI GUY"... nice one!

1 comment:

Mary Beth and Matt said...

ew prediction after seeing the trailer: EVAN ALMIGHTY. Not a funny moment in the entire thing. Apparently has some bizarre plot about Steve Carrell being a modern-day Noah. I read somewhere that it's the most expensive comedy, so the buzz on it will be negative unless it does better than Will Ferrell movies, or at least beats BRUCE ALMIGHTY.