Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Shears review: THE TRAIN

This was recommended by those clever bastards over at Libertas (yes, them again) probably 8 months ago. I kept pushing it down my Netflix list but then last week, in a weak moment, I lost control of the list and THE TRAIN found its way to the top.

Definitely not what I was expecting because I had long since forgotten what Libertas said about it. I thought it was a standard WW2 mission movie, but it's not that at all. I'd say it actually has more in common with OCEAN'S 11 than with THE DIRTY DOZEN.

Really cool story, apparently based in truth, about French railway workers who cleverly sabotaged Nazi trains as they tried to smuggle French art out of Paris in the last days before the liberation.

Burt Lancaster plays the ringleader of a group of railwaymen who have to come up with increasingly elaborate schemes to sabotage the Nazis, all without arousing suspicion, getting caught and executed on the spot. That's what's so great about it, they have to shut the trains down and in every case, it HAS look like an accident. Incredible tension, clever schemes, and some great revolutionary directing genius from one of the greats, John Frankenheimer... with whom Shears has an interesting history... one I might eventually let you in on if I ever stop guarding my anonymity so jealously.

Anyhoo... THE TRAIN... set your Netflix to stun!

No comments: